Sep 1, 2014

Travel the World in Books Readathon: Start + Goals + Reading List + Updates + Challenge!


I came across this read-a-thon only a couple of days ago, and I knew I had to sign up! It sounds like so much fun, and who doesn't love a themed read-a-thon ;)
  
For more detailed info about this read-a-thon & to join, visit the sign up post HERE!
 
Also, this just might be the push I need to finally read some of those books that have been sitting on my shelf unread for years now, and lots of them are set in different countries & by authors from different countries. 

I haven't decided what exactly I'll read, but I have lots of choices because I'm from Macedonia, and I'll try to mix it up, and read books set in different countries & by authors from lots of different countries, though probably most of them will be from Europe, to be honest.


Goals:


~ to finish one previously started book
~ to read 2 full-length books
~ to participate in a mini challenge
   
 
Ok, so, I have 2 previosly started books that fit this read-a-thon: Untold by Cat Clarke (by UK author & set in UK) & The Final Murder by Anne Holt (set in Norway & by a Norwegian author), and I'd like to finish them both. And despite the fact that I have a lot of popular books that I'd like to read (like A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Shadow of the Wind, Mistress of Rome, etc.), the book that I think would be the most perfect for this read-a-thon is Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. It was recommended to me by my cousin, and I'll have to borrow it from her, and I know it's on the chunky side, but hopefully I'll like it & read it. And to be honest, the first book I'll probably read is Red Blooded by Amanda Carlson, and she's an American author, so it still counts ;) So, yes, I'm totally undecided, but then again, I am a moody reader, but I'll start with:



I'll just update this post with my progress! I'm also planning to tweet about it now & then ;)

Update #1:


Ok, so, I haven't been reading as much this first week as I wanted to read. I did finish one previously started book & read one more, though I actually finished them both today, on this 7th day. I have no idea what I'll read next. Whatever I'll be in a mood for when I'll choose my next read...

The books I read so far are:

  
...the previously started The Final Murder, that's set in Norway, with a few parts of the chapters through the book set in France & Sweden. Also, the author Anne Holt is from Norway.


I also read Red Blooded, which is set in the USA (when it wasn't in the Underworld), and it's by an American author, so it still fits for me ;)
 

 Update #2:

  
I have to admit that I totally strayed from my planned reading list for this read-a-thon, so instead I read whatever I got in the mood for. I read 2 more books, both by American authors, but one was set in England, and one short story & one novella, also by American authors, and the novella set in USA, Las Vegas to be precise.


I did start Marc Levy's The First Day, which is by French author, and so far has been set in Ethiopia, Chile, UK & France, but I haven't gotten far. I guess I'm not feeling it, but I'll continue reading it & hopefully will be better.
  

Book Scavenger Hunt Challenge:


I decided to do some, but only with pics from my shelf.

#1: My Books from Around the World: 1. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (Afghanistan); 2. Blood Eagle by Craig Russell (set in Germany, author from Scotland, UK); 3. Oksa Pollock: The Last Hope by Anne Plichota & Cendrine Wolf (set in UK & France, authors from France); 4. Magpie Hall by Rachael King (New Zealand); 5. The Final Murder by Anne Holt (Norway); 6. Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson (set in an Arabian country, no idea which one exactly); 7. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (Australia); 8. Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn (set in Italy); 9. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Spain); 10. The Japanese Lover by Rani Manicka (Malaysia); 11. The Midnight Palace by Carlos Rioz Zafon (set in India); 12. Azazel a.k.a The Winter Quinn by Boris Akunin (Russia); 13. Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (set in UK & USA, author from UK); 14. The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle (USA, but set in an Amish society); 15. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (Sweden).  

#3: one of my favorite books from around the world - I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak - Australia.
#6: fiction book from around the world I'd like to read - The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - Spain.

#7: foreign city in the title - Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn.

#9: book written by an author from another country than where I live - United Kingdom.

#10: Book set in a country I’d like to visit: The Alchemist's Key by Cristina Brambilla - set in Italy.




3 comments:

  1. So glad you are joining us in our travels around the world in books Readathon! Shadow of the Wind is one of my favorite novels and I thought about reading the second one for this challenge. Enjoy your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I should've thought of including my previously started book in. Then I would have finished a book already! lol I'm working on finishing 2 books as well, both 400 pages. I might not finish both. I should have picked shorter books. I know better! But they are good at least. So glad you could join us! Do you have any recs for books in Macedonia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with the challenge! I love seeing the international covers. I didn't know I am Messenger is set in Australia, it's on my TBR too. Lots of great recommendations, and Shadow of the Wind..swoon! I'm hoping Love in the Time of Cholera will evoke such strong love as Shadow of the Wind did for me. Glad you enjoyed the challenge!

    ReplyDelete