Jun 8, 2014

"Rose" by Holly Webb


Title: Rose

Author: Holly Webb

Series: Rose, #1


My rating: 5 of 5


(Book read from June 4th to June 6th, 2014.)  


Summary:



Rose isn't like the other orphans at St Bridget's Home for Abandoned Girls. Instead of dreaming of getting adopted by loving, wealthy parents, Rose wants to get a job and be independent. She doesn't need anyone but herself. 

She finds her escape working as a maid for Mr. Fountain, an alchemist. Unable to ignore the magic that flows throughout the grand residence, Rose realizes that just maybe; she might have a little bit of magic in her too.

This new series featuring magicians, witches, talking cats, mist-monsters, and friendships will have young readers in a trance!
 



My Thoughts on the Book:



Rose is a wonderful middle-grade fantasy story. It's magical, fun, humorous, with lots of likable characters, lovable heroine, and a touch of history & mystery, and I loved every second of it! I can't wait to read the next book in the series Rose and the Lost Princess.

I don't want to go into details about the story, which was interesting, but the best thing about this book were the characters. Rose is amazing - she's smart, independent & simply wonderful. Also, she's quite powerful when it comes to magic. The rest of the cast was quite likable as well, but the two I have to mention are Freddie & Gus. Gus is a white magical & talking cat, and I loved him from the moment I met him. I'm really interested to learn more about him. As for Freddie, I definitely warmed up to him, and I loved the friendship that developed between him & Rose. He's actually quite sweet.

I highly recommend Rose. It's a wonderful start to a series, that will leave you eager for more, and it's just the perfect blend of humour, magic, evil & adventure, and definitely one of my favorite reads so far this year.
 
 
 

Challenges:


0 comments:

Post a Comment