Apr 13, 2014

"Taste of Darkness" by Maria V. Snyder

 
Title: Taste of Darkness

Author: Maria V. Snyder

Series: Healer, #3
 
 
My rating: 3 of 5


(Book read from April 8th to April 13th, 2014.)
 
 

Summary:



She's fought death and won. But how can she fight her fears?
  
Avry knows hardship and trouble. She fought the plague and survived. She took on King Tohon and defeated him. But now her heart-mate, Kerrick, is missing, and Avry fears he's gone forever.
 
But there's a more immediate threat: The Skeleton King plots to claim the Fifteen Realms for his own. With armies in disarray and the dead not staying down, Avry's healing powers are needed now more than ever.
 
Torn between love and loyalty, Avry must choose her path carefully. For the future of her world depends on her decision.
   

 

My Thoughts on the Book:



Taste of Darkness is the final book in the Healer trilogy. I loved the first two books: Touch of Power & Scent of Magic, and I loved the characters & the world Maria V. Snyder had created in them. But, unfortunately, Taste of Darkness wasn't as good. Both as a fantasy book, and as a finale of a series, it was on the disappointing side. There's a good possibility there will be spoilers in the review below.
 
The whole story was kind of a mess, to be honest. The characters kept running around, not knowing this or that, looking for this person or that person, everything happened on the spur of the moment, and to be honest, I didn't really care anymore. I just kept reading so I can finish it & get it over with. I still liked it, but I was annoyed with the fact that characters I loved in the previous books started to annoy me, and they kept getting on my nerves more & more as I was reading, and I'm sad to say that Taste of Darkness was quite an average read for me.

I think that I would've preferred if the author decided on the whole war path, without the whole Skeleton King storyline, which I think it was quite unnecessary. Tohon was evil enough, and the Skeleton King was only crazy & a psycho, but not really scary. Oh, so he's a cannibal, wow, I guess I should be scared. Sick, sure, but scared, no. So, he bored me, even though he was one crazy guy.

And Tohon, oh how you irritated me with all of your dreams. And that was another thing that bored me. Yeah, they were vital for the storyline, but they were repetitive & boring. But, in the end, I still loved seeing him in person, and I loved hating him then. Tohon is brilliant, too bad he was an evil one, and he was too arrogant, but that made him the perfect villain.

I wasn't a big fan of the new magic Kerrick had. It was cool at first, but I preferred his original one. Also, Kerrick lost his charm, and started to irritate me most of the time, but not always. The same goes for Avry. I didn't like her anymore as a character, as for the rest of the gang, at the beginning they made me laugh as before, but soon they stopped being funny, and started to irritate me, and soon I didn't care about any of them. The only one I still cared at least tiny bit before this book was over was Flea, and of course I still loved Danny. I wish there was more of him & of Noak & the northern tribes.

That being said, this book wasn't bad. Some parts were pretty good, but some quite average, and it seems while the author tried to tie together all of those loose ends in one whole, the story ended up being a mess, because she probably didn't want to leave anything unresolved. So, kudos to her for doing that, for wrapping up everything nicely.

The story itself & where she was going with it (as well as the ending) was interesting enough, but before we got to that part - I didn't really care anymore. I wish it was executed better, and it flowed better. But, if you enjoyed the previous books, you should definitely read this last book & see how everything wraps up for Avry & the rest.

Taste of Darkness is a nice conclusion to the series, and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of Maria V. Snyder's books!


 

Challenges:

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment