Apr 9, 2014

"Scent of Magic" by Maria V. Snyder

 
Title: Scent of Magic 

Author: Maria V. Snyder 

Series: Healer, #2


My rating: 5 of 5

  


(Book read from April 6th to April 7th, 2014.)
   

Summary: 

 
 
Hunted, Killed—Survived?

 As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avry of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avry is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.
 
Though she should be in hiding, Avry will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avry is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again.


  

My Thoughts on the Book:



Scent of Magic is great addition to the Healer series, and almost as amazing as the previous book Touch of Power. This book at the same time was what I expected, yet managed to surprise me with the way the story developed & everything that happened.

The first pleasant surprise was the dual PoV. Avry & Kerrick separate, so I was glad that we could follow them both, and their adventures.

The second surprise was the way the story developed. Everyone's preparing for war, so we got to see a lot of that, as well as some politics & lots of strategizing & lots of danger, and I loved that the author expanded the world. Everything was refreshing in its own way, so the story was fun, sad, adventurous, surprising, and it made me sit on the edge of my sit, turning that pages, and I loved it! It was almost perfect!

Avry was so amazing. From the way she dealt with every situation she found herself in, with the way she didn't gave up, even when she felt heartbroken or scared, she was just so brave & awesome.

Prince Ryne is quite the strategist, and just as awesome at what he does as Kerrick said he is, and he's amazing & so, so good! And Flea, omg, I was hoping for something like this, and it was awesome, I love him. He's such a sweety. And of course there's Danny. I love him, too. Danny's so amazing & sweet & brave & good, and so intelligent, and I know he's on the way to become a brilliant healer.

Of course I still loved Kerrick, he's such a great character, and I hope he & Avry will get their happily ever after. They deserve it! And of course I loved all of the rest, they made me laugh so much, and of course we met lots of new interesting characters.

And that ending, I didn't expect for the book to end quite like that, and I'm talking about the whole Tohon situation, and it was quite surprising, but awesome. As for the ending of the book, well after it & after reading the description of Taste of Darkness, my heart is already breaking for Avry, because she has been through so much in Scent of Magic, so now I'm stuck in that place where I can't wait to pick up the next & last book, yet at the same time I don't want to, because I know it will be heartbreaking, both the story, as well as saying goodbye to the series, but I know I won't be able to resist long & I'll read it soon!

Scent of Magic is amazing fantasy adventure, that I can't recommend it enough, as well as the Healer trilogy. I know I'll love reading these again & again, so if you're a fan of fantasy, Maria V. Snyder's books are the books for you!

  
 

Challenges:


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment