Jan 25, 2014

"The Lost Planet" by Rachel Searles


Title: The Lost Planet

Author: Rachel Searles

Publisher: Macmillan Children's Publishing Group
  
Imprint: Feiwel & Friends

Publication date: January 28th, 2014


My rating: 2.5 of 5
 
 
(Book read from January 21st to January 23rd, 2014,  from an eARC received from the publisher through NetGalley, in exchange of an honest review.)
 
   

Summary:

 

For fans of Star Wars and Star Trek, Rachel Searles' debut middle-grade novel delivers an epic space adventure full of action and heart, with an eclectic cast and a hidden mystery.
 
This is what the boy is told: 
  • He woke up on planet Trucon, inside a fence he shouldn’t have been able to pass.
  • He has an annirad blaster wound to the back of his head.
  • He has no memory.
  • He is now under the protection of a mysterious benefactor.
  • His name is Chase Garrety.
 
This is what Chase Garrety knows:
  • He has a message: “Guide the star.”
  • Time is running out.
 



My Thoughts on the Book:



The Lost Planet is a middle-grade sci-fi adventure book, that I was really looking forward to reading it.

The cover is beautiful, and I love the way it depicts almost all the important characters in the book.

But cover aside, I wish I felt about the book itself, the way I do about the cover. The book wasn't bad, but it wasn't quite good either. 

I enjoyed quite a lot the beginning, the world-building & the storyline was interesting enough, and entertaining, too, and the characters through the whole book were quite likable as well, but there was just something missing.

There was mystery, and danger, and lots of action-packed run-for-your-life moments, but in almost every aspect there was just something missing. I know I'm not the targeted audience, being older and all, but there are plenty MG books that despite my years, had managed to capture me with it, but The Lost Planet unfortunately wasn't one of them.
  
Also, now that I've finished it, I have trouble with the title of the book, too. The Lost Planet doesn't fit at all, although to be honest, I wouldn't know how to name it, also.
 
Also, it seems that this is planned to be a first book in a series, but to be honest, I don't think I will be picking up the sequel. Overall, I liked it, and I'm glad I read it, but I'm not interested enough to see what will happen next.

But, if you enjoy sci-fi & middle-grade books, and maybe you're not too demanding like me, I recommend to try The Lost Planet for yourself & decide. Maybe The Lost Planet is just what you need.
 

 

Challenges:

 

1 comment:

  1. Reading books for a MG audience as an adult is hard for me at times. I have a hard time connecting with the characters.

    ReplyDelete