Jan 20, 2014

"Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest" by A. Lee Martinez

 
Title: Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest
 
Author: A. Lee Martinez
   
Publisher: Orbit
 
Publication date: July 16th, 2013
 
 
My rating: 4.5 of 5
 
 
(Book read from January 7th to January 11th, 2014,  from a review copy received from the publisher through NetGalley in 2013, in exchange of an honest review.)


Summary:

 
Witness the epic battle of the cyclops!
 
Visit the endangered dragon preserve! Please, no slaying.
 
Solve the mystery of The Mystery Cottage, if you dare!
 
Buy some knick knacks from The Fates! They might come in handy later.
 
 
On a road trip across an enchanted America, Helen and Troy will discover all this and more. If the curse placed upon them by an ancient god doesn't kill them or the pack of reluctant orc assassins don't catch up to them, Helen and Troy might reach the end their journey in one piece, where they might just end up destroying the world. Or at least a state or two.
 
A minotaur girl, an all-American boy, a three-legged dog, and a classic car are on the road to adventure, where every exit leads to adventure. Whether they like it or not.
 
  
 

My Thoughts on the Book:


Helen & Troy's Epic Road Quest was definitely one of my favorite road trips, as well as quests I've read about. I just adored every second of it, from the beginning until the very end, and I was sad when it was over.

This book was so funny, it had the type of humor that I adore, so of course I was entertained by it quite a lot. I hadn't read any of the other books by the author, so this book was a pleasant surprise. I loved the author's writing style & this book reminded me a little of Terry Pratchett, John Connolly, Douglas Adams, etc., and their humor, which I absolutely adore.
 
The story & the world itself were so amusing & interesting & fun, and I loved following Helen & Troy on their quest, and I loved the mix of comedy, fantasy, adventure, mythology & a road trip. I mean, who wouldn't?
 
Also, I loved Helen & Troy as characters, as well as all the others. I just couldn't help but start caring for them, and wishing they will all make it to the end alive.
 
If you enjoy humorous books like this one, then you must try this book & this author. I'm definitely going to try his other books, actually I can't wait, because I've heard great things about them, too!
 
 
 

Challenges:

 

2 comments:

  1. I read this book a few months ago, and I loved it so much! I need to read other books by Martinez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I've heard great things about a few of his other books, as well :)

      Delete