Mar 31, 2013

"An Abundance of Katherines" by John Green



Title: An Abundance of Katherines

Author: John Green
 



My rating: 3 of 5


(Book read from March 22nd to March 24th, 2013)

Summary:




Katherine V thought boys were gross
Katherine X just wanted to be friends
Katherine XVIII dumped him in an e-mail
K-19 broke his heart
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.

On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun - but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.
 



 

My Thoughts on the Book:



Ok, so I guess I'd call An Abundance of Katherines an average comtemporary YA. Overall, I liked it, but it was nothing special. And from that aspect, it's definitely a disappointing John Green book. If you haven't tried his books, don't start with this one. Thankfully, I didn't :) 
It was kind of a quirky read, with a little bit of weird characters, that I can't say that I liked them. I didn't dislike them, but I just couldn't connect to them, I kinda started to like Colin & Lindsey near the end of the book, as to Hassan, I didn't warm up to him at all. And for someone that was suppose to be the funny guy, not so much. I guess I kinda got used to laughing out loud to John Green's books, and this just wasn't the case. I laughed some, and overall it was a fun & kinda interesting read, but nothing special.
But, what did I love? My fav parts in this book were the scenes in Lindsey's secret place - they were written in a lovely way, and they were sweet & made me smile.  I also loved the ending, this is where it felt like a John Green book, so that was better.
In the end, An Abundance of Katherines was nice enough YA contemporary, with good ending & quirky characters, and although it wasn't quite a read for me, I still liked it, so I say, try it & see for yourself.  


Challenges:


1 comment:

  1. This was actually my first John Green book. We read it in my book club. It's been a few years since I read it but I remember liking it. Here is a link if you want to read about it: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/group_folder/6392?group_id=3551

    Angie

    ReplyDelete