Apr 13, 2012

"My Soul to Keep" by Rachel Vincent

Title: My Soul to Keep

Series: Soul Screamers #3

Author: Rachel Vincent

(read from April 4th to April 13th, 2012)

My rating: 5 of 5


Summary: 

WHEN KAYLEE CAVANAUGH SCREAMS, SOMEONE DIES AND KAYLEE IS ABOUT TO SCREAM HER HEAD OFF...

Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them. Until something does.

Demon’s breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow, the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends—one of whom is already hooked. And when the epidemic hits too close to home, Kaylee will have to risk everything to save those she loves...

 
My Thoughts on the Book:

OMG, where to start?!? ^_^ I'm still under impressions of My Soul to Keep - I finished it last night (or should I say early this morning - it was almost 4 am) and yeah, I woke up still thinking about this book. :)  A little warning if you haven't read this one, but there will probably be lots of spoilers below.
Let's just say that this one puts what happened in My Soul to Save in a different perspective. 
When we learn about the ballons in MStK, I guessed that this has something to do with Kaylee's idea in MStS. Also, I had a feeling that Nash is using, too, but I didn't realise why & let's just say that when reading the chapters when Nash tells Kaylee why he's using Demon's Breath & how he started were something unexpected, I mean the way they made me feel was unexpected. Why? Well, I don't connect easily to the love interests in the books, but I liked a lot Nash in MStT & I still liked him a lot in MStS, although I wasn't crazy about him & the Nash I got to know would never do that what he was doing in MStK. But, of course there's a good explanation for the change in him. 
So, from the beginning I started to get more & more annoyed with Nash & when he influenced Kaylee for the first time, I started to dislike him more & more as the story developed. So, I started to wonder how he can be completely different? But, when he gets caught & he starts to explain everything to Kaylee, everything made sense & I started to feel sorry for him. I mean that whole conversation was unforgettable & yeah, I cried a lot, (and that was unexpected) especially when he explained that he started accidentally & it was just so sad what he lost to get high. I mean, how could he give up that? Stupid, stupid Nash! And from Avari? How could he? Anyway, that's when I realised that everything that happened in MStS was just a set up for MStK & the rest of the books, so that's the different perspective I'll see in MStS when I'll re-read it & I know I'll probably love it more then. 
Now, back to something that happened early in the book - the boy Kaylee saw in the Netherworld. I knew I'll probably find out who he is later in the book & I was really intrigued, so when he "showed up" much later, I guessed it was him, and his name is Alec. I really want to know more about him, so hopefully we'll get to see more of him in the next books. Anyway, when he "showed up" & I (and Kaylee) realised what Nash allowed Avari to do to her, I did something I've never done before: I stopped reading & started to curse silently lots of times. I mean I didn't curse Nash or Rachel Vincent or anything like that - I just couldn't believe he did that to Kaylee & I took a little break to calm myself (yeah, I needed calming from a book - unexpected for me - I wasn't furious, I guess I was just bewildered) but thankfully one Kit Kat chocolate later & quite a few times listening to This is Gallifrey, Our Home, Our Future from the Doctor Who ost, I was good to go, so I returned to find out more about Alec ;) 
So, after that it happens what happens, although Avari's plan for his celebration was quite unexpected & I have to say quite brilliant from hellions point of view. I was really glad for seeing Addison again (even in that condition) and I still feel so sad about her :( 
With every book, I liked Kaylee more & more as a character & now I love her as a character. Actually, most of the characters in the series are really likable. 
As for Nash, as I said at first I really disliked him in this book, but after that I just felt sorry for him, and now I don't know what to think & feel about him, but what he did was awful. Even before Kaylee thinking that, I had the same thought earlier (while I was cursing) that even if she can forgive him for lying to her & influencing her & using her & everyone else & etc, that he allowed to Avari to possess her was unforgivable, and I was quite satisfied when Tod punched Nash. 
Now to Tod :) Everything I had a feeling about him since MStT, which only was confirmed to me in MStS, was confirmed even more in MStK. I think is quite an amazing character & I can see why everyone loves him! Another thought I had quite earlier before Kaylee thinking it was that Tod will never do to Addison or the ones he loves & cares about what Nash did to Kaylee. So, I like him even more now (although I already liked him a lot as a character) and I'm still quite interested & intrigued by him, so I can't wait to read his novella Reaper next! Also, that scene when he runs with Luci the 2nd time still crackes me up :D 
And the writing was once again great & amazingly suspenseful & I'm now quite eager to try Rachel Vincent's 2 other series! 
A side note about the time it took for me to read MStK. I'm quite a moody reader & if I'm not in a mood for a book, I can't really make myself read it, so when I started MStK, I wasn't in a mood & read only a couple of chapters & put it aside & I've waited to get in the mood, but in the end I didn't get in the mood, so I started to read it late last night & although it took me some time, I got into it & I just couldn't put it down. I mean I stopped reading because I had to go to sleep, but after a half hour thinking about MStK & not being able to fall asleep, I got up & finished it! 
So, My Soul to Keep is definitely amazing & unputdownable & a book I'll think about a long time! 
I think I covered just about everything I wanted, my thoughts about this book are still a little scrambled & not quite sorted. But, if you still haven't tried the Soul Screamers series, what are you waiting for?   

Challenges:
 

100+ Books In A Year Reading Challenge 2012

2012 YA Mythology Challenge

0 comments:

Post a Comment