Dec 31, 2010

#234 - "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell


Title: North and South
Author: Elizabeth Gaskell

Summary:
Margaret is compelled to move from Helstone, her beloved childhood home in the New Forest, to Darkshire in the industrial north when her father resigns his parsonage owing to religious doubts.
When she first encounters John Thornton, her father's pupil and a man in favour of the power of master over worker, she finds their views in conflict. 
But industrial rebellion and family tragedy cause Margaret to learn the realities of urban life and Thornton to learn humanity. Only then can a mutual understanding lead to the possibility of enduring love.

Mrs Gaskell's finest social novel is also the powerfully moving story of the developing relationship between southern-born Margaret Hale and John Thornton, the young northern mill-owner.

My rating: 4.5 of 5

My thoughts on the book:
I finally read it & I loved it! It's been over 5 years since I first watched the BBC mini series North and South and I fell in love with the story, but I just kept postponing reading the book until now. The book is different than the mini series, although the main story is the same, but there are different scenes.  The book only made me love the characters of Margaret Hale & John Thornton even more. I recommend it! 

Challenges:

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that you loved this! I watched and bought the miniseries this past fall and recently started reading the book. So far I love it too!

    ReplyDelete