Dec 30, 2010

#221 - "Adios, Nirvana" by Conrad Wesselhoeft


Title: Adios, Nirvana
Author: Conrad Wesselhoeft
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Imprint: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children 

Summary: 
When you piss off a bridge into a snowstorm, it feels like you're connecting with eternal things. Paying homage to something or someone. But who? The Druids? Walt Whitman? No, I pay homage to one person only, my brother, my twin. 
In life. In death. 
Telemachus. 

Since the death of his brother, Jonathan's been losing his grip on reality. Last year's Best Young Poet and gifted guitarist is now Taft High School's resident tortured artist, when he bothers to show up. He's on track to repeat eleventh grade, but his English teacher, his principal, and his crew of Thicks (who refuse to be seniors without him) won't sit back and let him fail.
 
My rating: 5 of 5
 
My thoughts on the book:
I loved this book! Although it doesn't start amazing & in the beginning I wasn't too sure if I'll like it, I kept reading it & in the end I loved it! The story & the writing was great, I could really feel what Jonathan felt & as the story developed, I could understand why he was dealing with his grief the way he did! I really liked most of the side characters & how they helped him deal with it! I especially loved the poetry & the parts with music & guitar playing! The ending was really good & I have to say that the cover really fits the book! I recommend it!
 
Challenges:

0 comments:

Post a Comment