Nov 5, 2010

#198 - "Odd and the Frost Giants" by Neil Gaiman


Title: Odd and the Frost Giants
Author: Neil Gaiman

Summary:
In this inventive, short, yet perfectly formed novel inspired by traditional Norse mythology, Neil Gaiman takes readers on a wild and magical trip to the land of giants and gods and back.

In a village in ancient Norway lives a boy named Odd, and he's had some very bad luck: His father perished in a Viking expedition; a tree fell on and shattered his leg; the endless freezing winter is making villagers dangerously grumpy.

Out in the forest Odd encounters a bear, a fox, and an eagle - three creatures with a strange story to tell.

Now Odd is forced on a stranger journey than he had imagined - a journey to save Asgard, city of the gods, from the Frost Giants who have invaded it.

It's going to take a very special kind of twelve-year-old boy to outwit the Frost Giants, restore peace to the city of gods, and end the long winter.

Someone cheerful and infuriating and clever . . .

Someone just like Odd . 
 
 
My rating: 5 of 5
 
My thoughts on the book:
As always with Neil Gaiman's books, I loved it! I guess I should just say: Neil Gaiman = Amazing book! I actually can't choose which one of his books I love the most, because I love all of them & this one is now one of my favorites also! I highly recommend it!

Challenges:

2 comments:

  1. Being a huge fan of Neil Gaiman and Norse mythology (and being Norwegian) I really look forward to reading this. Like you I have loved (almost) all of his books that I have read. I think Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilde, I guess I should have said almost, too :) From the 7 books I've read I've loved 6 and I liked InterWorld, too :) I still haven't read Neverwhere & American Gods :)

    ReplyDelete